Sunday, August 09, 2009

G550s, the only way to fly

Everyone dreams about winning the lotto.
The last time I did, I wondered how much money it would cost to buy a personal jet. I kept going to different websites until I found the jet of choice: A Gulfstream 550.

Of course, the problem was that I couldn't afford it. Beyond the cost of initial aquisition ($65 million), the jets are pretty costly to keep. Most websites put the yearly upkeep at anywhere from $1 to $2 million to own a jet like that.

So I shelved my dream for now.

But most recently, I found out that if you really want a personal jet that you can share with friends, you can always become a member of congress:

Last year, lawmakers excoriated the CEOs of the Big Three automakers for traveling to Washington, D.C., by private jet to attend a hearing about a possible bailout of their companies.

But apparently Congress is not philosophically averse to private air travel: At the end of July, the House approved nearly $200 million for the Air Force to buy three elite Gulfstream jets for ferrying top government officials and Members of Congress.



I love irony.

No comments: