Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Post Election Report: Part 3: Change and Hope

In an earlier post, I wrote about Branding.
I never thought that Barack would become president.

I'm from Chicago. I thought that once people knew who he was, they wouldn't buy what he was selling.
I was horribly horribly wrong. People bought Change and Hope in droves. On T-shirts, watches, buttons, and anything you could put that slogan on.

So now its left to me, post-election, to explain why I thought it was lame. Do you know what Jimmy Carter's slogan was? Of course, he wasn't the only one to use the Change mantra. Officially, Bill Clinton's motto was "Don’t stop thinking about tomorrow." But he used Change to a much lesser degree... He also pushed the fact that he was the boy from Hope... and it caught on... Politico even got hold of this election memorabilia: So when I saw these posters: It wasn't exactly like I was seeing anything new. It was just rhetoric, recycled.
I also found this photo, that kinda summed up Change and Hope:

I have a hope for Democrats in 2012: and it is that they can finally change their rhetoric.

No comments: