Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I'M one of those people resisting Universal Health Care

In a recent article on Bloomberg, the writer talks about how Universal Health Care is a hard topic for volunteers to pitch. This is the author's take on the topic:
Obama is pursuing a goal that has eluded presidents of both parties for the past 60 years. He is counting on volunteers such as McArdle to help him marshal public support to overcome resistance to some aspects of his plan from hospitals, doctors and companies such as Louisville, Kentucky-based Humana Inc., the second-largest U.S. provider of government-backed health benefits.

I read through the article and noticed one thing: the writer never talked about the real opposition to health care... people like me. Its not just high powered companies that are resisting Universal Health Care. So I wrote back. I think my letter is good enough that I want to share it:
In a recent article, you wrote:
"He is counting on volunteers such as McArdle to help him marshal public support to overcome resistance to some aspects of his plan from hospitals, doctors and companies such as Louisville, Kentucky-based Humana Inc., the second-largest U.S. provider of government-backed health benefits."

You forgot to mention that the real problem; that they are trying to overcome resistance from people like myself. I know that the government will only make health care more expensive, that it will add another layer of bureaucracy to getting healthy, and that its impossible to reach the stated goals of Obama's plan. Already, the two central goals (that it will make health care affordable to everyone and be available to everyone who is not covered) have been exposed as fallacies. The current plan being floated will add 1.6 Trillion of debt and only cover 1/3rd of the uninsured.

I ask that the next time you write an article on the resistance towards universal health care, you talk to ordinary people like myself. I've been against the idea since Hillary pitched it the first time around. This president has only shown an ability to put us further into debt while creating more dependence on the government, and more pork.

I've talked to many people who support universal health care. The problem is always the same. They can't answer how adding $600 Billion (the original figure for launching universal health care) or $1 Trillion (the revised figure) or $1.6 Trillion (today's figure) is going to make health care cheaper for everyone.
I hope that you'll start asking that question too.

No comments: