Monday, January 26, 2009

Heard during coverage of the Inauguration

I watched and TIVO'd part of the coverage of the post-inauguration to see what the press was saying about Obama.
The fawning was more ridiculous then usual.

I have some of my favorite quotes, and I'm including them here. I know that they are not 100% accurate, but I typed them as I heard them, and they do reflect what was said.
All of these quotes came from the coverage on ABC.

At one point, a woman is talking about how Obama was a basketball player in high school, for a short amount of time. After explaining that he rarely played, she had this to say:

I think he did have talent. It was just that some of the other players had been there longer, and had played more.

I think that was the first official apology of the press on a shortcoming of the incoming president. It wasn't that the president wasn't good. It was that others had been there longer and played more. So outside of experience, Obama had talent. Where have I heard that before?

Later in the coverage, Obama entered the White House and the parade started. It took a while for Obama to leave the WH for the reviewing stand, to watch the parade. This made one of the male commentators fret:

I'm just worried that some of those units will go by, and the president won't get to see them.

Yes. I'm sure that the president was worried about that. I'm sure the first thing that he was thinking about, after becoming president, was "Yay! Marching bands!"

But as funny as those quotes were, my favorite quote came from a woman who was talking, and let this gem out:

Washington encompasses all that is corrupt and evil about the United States.


I'm sure that if you gave her more time, she'd tell you about the other things that she thought were evil about the United States. I'm sure she had a list. But at that time, she was worried about Obama because now he was in Washington... where everything that is corrupt and evil about the United States resides.
Mainly, reporters.

No comments: