Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Renewing America's Rhetoric

I was watching the parade after Obama's inauguration and I started noticing this logo all over the place. Or rather... I thought I did. You know how when you see an ad placement in a baseball game, and you can't believe that someone was actually that crass?

That's how I felt when I saw this:


Yes, that's "Renewing America's Promise" written on the drum of Florida A&M marching band. I enlarged and lightened it so that you could see it better.
This was TIVO'd on my computer. I have the option to grab frames off of my HD recording, which is how I got this image.

Now I ask you: how did that logo get on that drum? You know, the presidential logo in the middle of the President's new motto?

Keep in mind, it wasn't just on that drum. It was on the front of floats, and other places that I saw in the parade route.
Now ask yourself: how would you feel if you saw President Bush's logo all over the band instruments of his inauguration, along with his presidential seal?

I get the feeling that we are about to experience the most crass marketing that has ever been enacted by any president. If this parade is any indication, every federal government item is soon going to say "Renewing American's Promise" on it.
Which just makes this administration all the more creepy.

No comments: