Friday, October 24, 2008

What a vice president does

There's a lot of things that annoy me about the demonization of Sarah Palin. The one that bothers me the most is the assertion that she has no idea what she's talking about.

Take the latest issue: whether or not Sarah knows what a president does.

As 'proof' that Palin doesn't know, someone recently quoted this sentence to me:
As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day?

I googled the quote to find the original. Try it. You'll get something like a gazillion lefty websites.
Most of them only give the quote above.

The Huffington Post recently quoted Politico. When I first saw the quote on HuffPo, they only quoted the phrase above. Now they give a longer quote.

Neither HuffPo nor Politico gave a link to the original statement. HuffPo now has the video linking to it.
Kudlow: All right. You have a legion of fans who want you to become Senator McCain’s vice-presidential candidate. In fact, on the world’s largest pay-to-play prediction market, betting parlor, called InTrade, you are in third place with a 20 percent support probability behind former Governor Romney and present Governor of Minnesota Pawlenty. Is this police flap, state investigation, going to disqualify you from becoming Senator McCain’s vice-presidential candidate?

Palin: Well it shouldn’t disqualify me from anything, including progressing the state’s agenda here towards more energy production so we can contribute more to the U.S. Nor should it dissuade any kind of agenda progress in any arena because again, I haven’t done anything wrong. And through an investigation of our lawmakers who are kind of looking at me as a target, we invite those questions so that we can truthfully answer the questions.

But as for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does everyday? I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.

Along those lines, I'd love for anyone who thinks that Palin doesn't understand the position of VP to think the accusation through.

Its not a logical conclusion. -And I can prove it.
Palin was the governor of the state of Alaska. A lieutenant governor is the 'VP' of a state. The leiutenant governor's duties are described under the Alaska Constitution:
7. Lieutenant Governor Duties

There shall be a lieutenant governor. He shall have the same qualifications as the governor and serve for the same term. He shall perform such duties as may be prescribed by law and as may be delegated to him by the governor. [Amended 1970]

There is a huge parallel in what the VP does and what the leiutenant governor of Alaska does.

If you believe that the governor of Alaska didn't understand for 2 years what her leiutenant did, or that she didn't understand the parallel between the VP and her leiutenant governor, I'd argue that you are being very illogical.

Just say'in.

No comments: