Monday, October 06, 2008

At what point does hero worship get dangerous?

I think that I can say this with 100% honesty:

If Obama were a Republican - and if he agreed (in theory) with everything I believed in - and even if I thought he seemed humble...
...the hero worship would still creep me out.
It would creep me out to the point where I wouldn't vote for that candidate.

I don't understand this level of hero worship about anyone.
Its why I can't fathom the Jim Jones thing, or the Moonies, or anyone who hangs a big photo of their leader in their home.

With all of this in mind, I have to ask this question of any liberal and/or democrat who might run across my blog:
How far does it have to go?
How bizarre would it have to get before you would say
I can't vote for Obama. Not because I disagree with what he says, but this is too much faith to put into any one person. This is too much worship for one mortal being, especially one who is a politician.

Does that point exist?
Is there any point where you would say that the hero worship has gone too far?


Would it have to be Paris fashion show, where Obama's face is on dresses and clothes, with a model wearing some kind of wristlets that say "Yes, we can"?

Would it be a teachers union suggesting to their members that they should all wear blue on Tuesdays to show their support for Obama and as a way to influence the teens they teach?

Would it be a junior fraternity of black gentlemen marching, wearing camouflage, and stepping forward to tell you, one at a time, how Obama has changed their lives?

Or would it be a group of schoolchildren singing their praise for Obama, with their proud parents watching over them for praising their dear leader?

How far is too far for you?
I'd love it if someone would answer that for me.

2 comments:

Dale said...

Um ... people do, from time to time, take inspiration from political leaders. What would be the point of, say, co-writing books called Why Courage Matters: The Way to a Braver Life and Faith of My Fathers: A Family Memoir if not to build up an idealized, inspirational image of oneself and one's leadership?

Is there, by the way, anything the GOP would not wish to name after Ronald Reagan if left to its fondest desires?

Currently, the GOP candidate doesn't resonate with GOP voters as much as the Democratic candidate resonates with us. In 2004, this was reversed: the GOP base adored their precious George W. Bush, and the Democrats could barely stomach John Kerry. So it goes.

Do you mean to imply that the enthusiasm for Sarah Palin among many voters is based entirely on substance, completely divorced from affection, passion, identity? Really?

In terms of the dangers of unchecked power, posters and blue shirts and songs alarm you but a president who gleefully ignores subpoenas and grants himself the right to torture does not trouble you? Neat.

I'll worry about President Obama (get used to it) if and when he abuses power beyond his actual Constitutional authority.

ChicagoJohn said...

Dale,

To start, McCain's book on Courage isn't about political leaders. Apparently, you just got that from the title.

And even if the idea of that tome was to idealize McCain, there are not people writing songs about McCain, or marching in a paramilitary fashion while describing what great things he has done for them before becoming president.

You say that the Democrats could barely stomach John Kerry? Really? Then why are there still cars in my city that have his bumper sticker on it?

Yes, people (like me) really DO like governor Palin. Really.
But we don't have 8 ft. tall giant pictures of her in the McCain headquarters.
That scares me. That type of unrelenting pledges of loyalty and fealty is insidious and dangerous.

Your post indicates that you wouldn't worry about the Obama hero worship until he actually is caught abusing his constitutional authority. But how would you recognize it? Or for that matter, how would the marching camouflage people recognize it?

You seem to believe that the only people capable of idealizing their candidates too much are Republicans. That's clearly not the case. I don't know of one Republican who has written a song about their Republican candidate at any time. I hope I never do.

I asked "At what point does hero worship get dangerous".

Your answer seems to be "Never".

Please correct me and tell me that I'm wrong.