Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Change. Creepy, creepy change.

When I was in 6th grade, I had a teacher who was an African American. I remember singing negro spirituals in that class, and feeling very awkward about it.
You see, there weren't any black kids in our class. So this wasn't about the teacher helping someone to find their identity. It was about what the teacher wanted us to do.

Even though I was in 6th grade, I understood that it was wrong for the teacher to have us sing from her point of view.
Similarly, I look at this video and I'm appalled.



When I watch it, I wonder how many of those kids know what they're singing about. I mean, the one girl is talking about how Obama will help bring freedom to the world. Despite the fact that he opposed the surge. Ahem.
The point being that no kid of that age should be used for politics.

If you read the text on the YouTube page, you find out how this video was created:
Inspired by ideas raised at a grassroots Obama fundraiser, a music teacher, Kathy Sawada, and the children composed and rehearsed the songs in less than two weeks.

Let's parse that sentence, shall we?
At an Obama fundraiser, they tried to figure out ways to spread the message. One of the party faithful was a woman named Kathy, who also happened to teach kids music. She co-authored the songs with the kids.
I hope it was the kids who wrote the lyrics. I'd hate to think that the teacher came up with this:
Now's the moment, lift each voice to sing
Sing with all your heart!
For our children, for our families,
Nations all joined as one.
Sing for joy and sing abundant peace,
Courage, justice, hope!
Sing together, hold each precious hand,
Lifting each other up;
Sing for vision, sing for unity,
Lifting our hearts to Sing!

Ack. My teeth hurt.
Hey, if all of the nations joined as one sounds familiar, you'll probably like the ReMix of the song, which you can find here:

Its appropriately German.

Yeah, I know... tacky. But what do you call the original work? Artistic?
Let's face it.... its not just propaganda... but its creepy propaganda.
It reminded me of cults like this one:

That's from the cult of David Berg. He believed in free sex, free love, and freebies in general. Sound familiar?

Anyway, the good news is that we are about 30 days away from elections. If Obama is elected, all of these kids will be given electric blue "Hope" vests to march around in, and they will turn in anyone who doesn't want to affect change, not to mention those who don't want international unity.
That's how it always works.

No comments: