Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Headline you won't read in the NY Times

Obama and two aides interviewed by Fitzgerald in Blago Bribery

You'll never read that.
But you should have.
As the Wall Street Journal points out:

Federal prosecutors investigating alleged corruption by Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich interviewed President-elect Barack Obama and two of his top advisers last week in connection with the case, according to a memo released Tuesday by the Obama transition team.


Let's review:
Obama, and 2 of his advisors, were interviewed by Fitz. Why? Well, certainly, it was because there was no improper contact between any of the advisers and Blago on the many taped conversations they didn't have.

I'm sure that Fitz was just asking them to confirm that they really didn't talk to Blago at all about a deal. I imagine the conversation going something like this:

FITZ: We have you on tape telling Blago absolutely nothing. Is that true?
OBAMA ADVISOR: Yep. I handed him a list of senate candidates that I felt were acceptable.
FITZ: But you asked for nothing in return. We have tapes of that not happening. Correct?
OBAMA ADVISOR: Stop badgering me! Yes, we did nothing!
FITZ: Look... I can't help you unless you continue to deny offering him anything. I'm not going to waste my time interviewing you - knowing that I have nothing on you - unless you tell me that all of my tapes are substantially correct.
OBAMA ADVISOR: Look, cop; I don't know what you're holding back. I just know what I said. Yeah... those conversations were proper, and I never asked for quid pro quo! Is that what you want me to say???
FITZ: I want you to say it only, and only, if my tapes are correct!
OBAMA ADVISOR: Arrrrgh! You got me! I didn't offer him anything! Oh man... I knew that I was in trouble when I came in here! That's why I've been offering interviews for the past week, because there was no improper contact!

The weird thing is that I know that somewhere out there, there are Obama fans who think that's how it went.

No comments: